Just thought I'd add that these are test renders. It will need some work with regards lighting and tweaking the skin texture. I thought I'd composite it onto a photo just to see how convincing it could look.Tomorrow I plan on posing him.
Well I can honestly say that CG clothes are really hard to make. Here I've modeled a waistcoat that has been made from burlap, but it needs some work. The black holes between the stitching are meant to be transparent and show skin, like the tear you can see. The alpha map is working but because i extruded it to give thickness a kind of drop shadow has been created making it only possible to see the transparency when the camera is directly perpendicular to the holes. This I will fix by deleting the inside extrusion faces all except on the outside hem.
It's also quite apparent that the back scattering on the skin shader needs to be turned down much more than I previously thought. On a plus side I'm really happy with the razor shell necklace.
Originally I tried to make the eyelashes using the hair system but I couldn't get the to look or behave like eyelashes. In the end I've used Maya fur which for this purpose was much easier to control. They need thinning out slightly and the corners tapering (also needs the bottom ones) but other than that I think they work. I've also made the eyes look a little more convincing, I think.
This is much better, I've fixed the texture problems I had in the last render, fixed the hair colour (it may be a bit bright though), and put a smidging of ambient occlusion on there. All the hair is still a work in progress as regards the style. Next on to the eyelashes.
Here's the latest render. I've shaped the beard (it still needs messing up), worked on the eyes, and the head hair (although still not thick enough.
EDIT: I thought it looked a bit dark and I just realized that a couple of the skin shader textures had come unplugged. I've just fixed this and In a while I'll update this post with a newer render with the hair the correct colour. I've also been working on the skin colour texture to make it have a little more of a dynamic colour range.
It may seem trivial but in this render I've made a few small tweaks. Firstly I've modeled a small piece of translucent geometry where the bottom of the eyelid and the eye ball meet, it makes it look as though the is a small build up of fluid there. Secondly I've made the first 2 rows of the eyelid pink and lastly I've modeled the small piece of flesh in the corner of the eye.
Today I started to make the textures (they're nowhere near finished) , they are 8K in size and I've plugged them into the overall colour, epidermal, subdermal, and specular of the sss skin shader. Tomorrow I plan on getting stuck into Z-brush to get some detail on the trow. I'm so glad I bought 8GB of RAM for my P.C. as I wouldn't have any hope of this getting done without it :)
I've done a bit of Z-brush work in the face (very rough) and just so I could spend some time in Maya playing with the displacement settings. I think here I have just about the right settings so I will now make a displacement map to the whole trow over the next few days.